Are you at risk for type 2 diabetes and it's many potential complications?
Know the risk factors:
- Abnormal lipid levels
- Being over weight Body Mass Index (BMI) less than 25
- Family history of type 2 diabetes
- High blood pressure
- Physical inactivity
- Poor food choices
- Smoking and alcohol consumption
Take control of your health with some TLC! (therapeutic life style changes) It has been demonstrated that there are life style choices that reduce the risk of diabetes and its many potential complications:
- Eat at least 5 servings a day of vegetables/fruits
- Eat fewer processed/refined and fast foods
- Increased activity can help regulate blood sugar levels
- Loose excess weight, just a 7% weight loss makes a big difference
Be familiar with the signs and symptoms of diabetes:
- Excessive thirst Increased hunger
- Excessive urination Fatigue
- Sores that don't heal
- Weight loss Blurred vision
Diabetes Support Group meeting, third Wednesday of every month from 2:30 to 4 pm. This group is peer support for those who have diabetes, their families and supporters where they can share your experiences and learn from others. Available for one on one education by appointment. Call 307-328-2706 to make an appointment.
Every day there are approximately 230 amputations secondary to diabetes. Visit the American Diabetes Association for more information.